Occupational Health and Safety Management System - BS OHSAS 18001:2007
The internationally recognised specification BS OHSAS 18001 was developed in response to market demand for a health and safety management system standard against which organisations may be assessed and certified. It has become increasingly apparent that companies want to manage health and safety in the same way as other core business activities.
The implementation of a management system that can be audited, which extends beyond compliance with minimum legal requirements enables organisations to take action to improve health and safety within the business environment. BS OHSAS is a means to control and mitigate risk and subsequently minimise harm to people linked with your business activities.
Assessment and certification to BS OHSAS 18001 demonstrates an organisation's commitment to continual improvement in health and safety performance and to compliance with legislation through maintenance of an Occupational Health and Management System (OHSMS).
The basic OHSMS elements are:
- Formulating and maintaining an OH&S Policy
- Planning for hazard identification, risk assessment and risk control
- Implementing and operating the system to achieve the policy aims
- Checking the effectiveness of the system and correcting deviations
- Reviewing the OHSMS with top management
Safety Schemes in Procurement (SSIP)
BM TRADA is a registered member of SSIP (Safety Systems in Procurement). If you are certified for BS OHSAS 18001 with BM TRADA, you automatically gain the benefits of SIPP membership under our registration.
- WHAT IS SSIP FORUM? - SSIP is an umbrella organisation facilitating mutual recognition between existing Health & Safety pre-qualification schemes such as CHAS, SAFEcontractor, Exor and Altius where practicable to do so. For a full list of applicable schemes and more information, visit www.ssip.org.uk
- THE BENEFIT TO YOU - If you hold an BS OHSAS 18001 certificate with BM TRADA, you are already successfully registered as a SSIP member. This means that you will no longer need to be registered with other Health & Safety pre-qualification schemes, saving considerable time and expense. If your clients are members of SIPP they will recognise the value of your associated membership through BM TRADA.
- THE BENEFITS TO YOUR CLIENTS - An important feature of the SSIP is the HSE's message that a buyer can be confident a supplier who is registered or accredited as compliant or approved with an SSIP member has been assessed to the Core Criteria standard (stage 1). The buyer, having verified your status, will only then need to focus on the project or job specific assessment (stage 2).
BS OHSAS 18001 certification will help to develop and promote an effective health and safety culture within your organisation and provide the credentials your organisation needs.Contact us